Importing into the United States – An Introduction
The majority of Canadian companies who sell and export goods to the U.S. do so on a landed-cost basis or under DDP-Delivered Duty Paid terms; meaning that the Canadian exporter also acts as the non-resident importer (NRI) into the U.S. and takes on the responsibility as well as the costs and risks of customs clearing the goods and paying all duties and taxes for its goods entering the United States. Whether your U.S. orders are fulfilled from inventory in Canada or goods are drop-shipped into the U.S. from a third country, this training will help you and your team better understand the U.S. customs process and how your company gains a strategic advantage through the NRI concept as well as the compliance pitfalls you need to look out for.
Don’t miss the opportunity to join this 3.5 hour training event! Our expert, Marc Ticehurst, who has over 27 years of experience in the customs industry, will cover the following topics:
- The basics of the U.S. Customs clearance process
- Roles & responsibilities of each stakeholder – Buyer, consignee, seller, shipper, importer of record , carrier, customs broker and U.S. Customs & Border Protection (CBP)
- Clearance differences by mode of transport (ground, air, sea and courier)
- Types of custom disbursements: customs duties, anti-dumping or countervailing duties, merchandise processing fees, USTR section 301 & section 232 surtaxes, etc.
- The importer surety bond
- Products subject to other government agencies (e.g. USDA, FDA, FCC, DOT, EPA, etc.)
- Commercial invoice requirements and understanding the Entry Summary Form
- Basic pillars of compliance:
- Tariff classification according to the U.S. Harmonized Tariff Schedule (HTS)
- Customs value appraisal methods and rules
- Origin management (marking and CUSMA free trade agreement)
- U.S. CBP enforcement (exams, requests for information, audits, penalties & fines)
- Common pitfalls and best practices for risk management
Who is this training for?
- Anyone involved in the customs activities of your business, such as:
- Logistics & transport agents
- Import-export analysts
- Accounting staff
- Sales and business development employees
- Department heads
- Business owners
Objective of the seminar:
This training will focus on the importation of goods into the United States for Canadian companies already acting as or considering becoming non-resident importers into the U.S. This training will provide a general overview of U.S. customs clearance activities and how to manage them cost effectively and compliantly. Understand the basics, learn best practices, hear real life examples that will help you increase your customs competency and ensure the smooth flow of your products into the U.S.
Please note that W2C also offers personalized (customer-adapted) online customs training, upon request.
For more information call : 1.514.368.2637 x112